Converting contacts via the Contact Converter
If you're still using multiple lists in Flexmail, we'll first help you convert those lists into segments in an easy and safe way. The Converter guides you through the process step by step.
For practical reasons, your account will be inaccessible for other users while the steps of the converter are in progress. This way, we can link your contacts’ reading actions to your database correctly after the conversion.
As we need to block your account for this, it is advisable that you reserve enough time for this process to be executed in one go. This is also the best way for you to keep track of steps you need to take.
What can I do to ensure the conversion will be as smooth as possible?
- We recommend that you convert your lists all in one go. You can pause the process, but it means you will be inaccessible for your contacts longer.
- We recommend that you consider the time you choose carefully. If you start the update later on the working day or in the evening, it will be considerably faster than between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Make sure you do not perform the update just after a mailing. During the process, Flexmail will be inaccessible for you and your contacts. By postponing a mailing, you reduce the risk of missing contacts.
- Have a look at your lists beforehand. Are they still of use and up to date?
1. Which lists are still relevant for you?
On the first page, choose the lists you want to keep. The lists you select here will be reviewed and converted to segments automatically. By not selecting lists here, you indicate that you do not need them anymore and therefore that they can be deleted at the end of the process. No worries. In the last step, we show you an overview in which you can check everything carefully. If you have changed your mind, you can still select extra lists for conversion.
2. Converting a list to a segment
To convert your selected lists to segments we still need some extra information. Start with the first list you have selected.
- Choose a name for your segment. We add the name of your main list – easily recognisable to you – but you can change it, of course.
- We used to store a language per list. Now, however, after the conversion, every contact will get its own language, so that you can work with this more efficiently and flexibly. In the second field, you should select a fallback language. The converter tries to recognise the language for each specific contact based on the information that's already available in that list. If that would not work, or there isn't a language available, you can indicate which ‘fallback’ language we can use for the contacts in this list.
- Since the introduction of the GDPR, every contact has to have a source. Here, too, we look at the information already included in the list. If no source is found, the fallback value you have entered here will be added. You can select an existing source or create a new source.
When you completed these three fields, click the Convert this list to a segment button. At that moment, this list will be finally converted to a segment. Do not worry, no information will be lost.
For the next few lists, you need to go through the same process. If you have selected many lists, the process will take a bit longer. However, it is worth the trouble; your overview will be a great deal clearer, and there won't be any duplicate contacts anymore.
3. Oops! Conflicting data for duplicate contacts!
After you have converted the first list, we will check every following list for duplicate contacts. If those are found, we will try to match the information in the contact fields. If a database field is empty, and there is information in the list to be newly added, we will add that new information.
If the information differs between your new database and the list to be added, conflicts may occur. In that case, you will be taken to the following page:
To help you choose the list with the correct information, we show you some conflict examples. Choose the list and information we should regard as ‘up to date’. This will probably be the list with the most recent data.
Have you finished converting?
Once you have converted all lists, your new database and its segments are finished. During the conversion, an overview of the number of unique contacts in your database is shown on the right as well as the various segments that were created on the basis of the lists you have cleaned up.
Are you really done? Then the next thing for you to do is Wrap up the converter. When you do this, all lists you have not selected for conversion will be deleted permanently. If you have forgotten a list, you can still go back to the first page to select other lists you wish to keep and convert them.
Once you finish up converting your lists, we'll ask you for one final confirmation before we close the converter. After that confirmation, you will be taken to the languages screen:
Here, you need to select the languages in which you will be sending emails. We will preselect these languages based on the contacts that are already in your database. If you're not planning to start sending emails in new languages, you can confirm your language choice.
If you've selected multiple languages, you will have to select a fallback language. Let's say you want to create a new custom field in the future. If you include that custom field on your update page, you probably want to display that field in the language of the contact who is updating his profile. Because we understand that you might need to send those names to a translation agency, we do not require those translations at the moment of creation (but we will warn you that soms translations are missing). In case of missing translations, the fallback language will be displayed. That's why that language is always required when creating a new resource that can be viewed by your contacts.
Still not entirely clear how to convert your contacts with the Contact Converter? Watch this webinar. Via a live demonstration, we’ll show you how to go from multiples lists to a single list and create segments afterwards.